Hemp BJJ gis 101: Hemp basics.
Chris Odell owner of Datsusara goes over some basics of hemp to try to educate consumers about the industry and the textile itself.
What is Hemp?
It is an industrial version of cannibus that has less than one percent THC (the active chemical compound that is responsible for the hallucinogenic side effects of smoking marijuana). However, some countries are diluting the textile definition of hemp such as Pakistan where they have something they call a “hemp weave” which is actually 80% cotton and only 20% polyester. They might not be intentionally diluting the term, but, regardless, it adds to the confusion of what hemp textiles really are.
Functional Benefits of a Hemp Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Gi
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis are environmentally friendly.
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis are stronger than cotton (between 2 – 8x stronger).
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis are breathable.
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis naturally wicks moisture away.
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis keep you cooler compared to cotton gis.
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis are naturally anti-bacterial (goodbye: ring worm, staph, & mold)
- Hemp jiu-jitsu gis generally keep a fresher smell throughout its life cycle. (Click here if you have smelly gi) Read More →